INCHYDONEY ISLAND LODGE & SPA. CLONAKILTY, WEST CORK, IRELAND
A Little History

Inchydoney Ocean Hotel

'Inchydoney Ocean Hotel', as it was originally called, was erected in the early 1930s. It was located on 'the island' just 3km from Clonakilty in West Cork. This seaside resort was situated on its own grounds of 150 acres, which boasted quality hard tennis courts and a 9-hole golf links. Bathing, boating and fishing were among the other activities enjoyed by the hotel's residents. Equipped with a ballroom, dances and fancy-dress parties were regularly held at the hotel, with the inaugural dance of Inchydoney Golf Club having taken place there on 26 September 1934 between 9.30pm and 3am. Billy Foley’s Band was playing on the night but Pat Crowley’s Band was a more regular fixture at Inchydoney in the 1930s and ‘40s. Especially popular was the hotel’s regular ‘monster whist drive and dance’, as well as its carnival dances. The Red Cross also frequently held dances there. In 1936, the District Justice ordered that the dances be limited to the hours of 8pm to 1am, but this was appealed and the usual 3am finish was reinstated. By 1937, Inchydoney Hotel was responsible for increased numbers of tourists visiting the area, and the hotel was by now advertising itself as the ‘most modern’ ‘all-electric hotel’.

This photo of Inchydoney Hotel was taken in the c. 1940s and appeared on a postcard published by ‘H. Rosehill, Cork’. Harry Rosehill, a well-known Jewish businessman, arrived in Cork in 1906 and opened a music store there. Harry’s son Fred, who was born on MacCurtain Street, Cork, worked in the store, and also opened a picture-framing shop; the postcard is likely a product of Fred’s business. Some of his best-selling lines were holy pictures that he sold to Catholics. In recent decades, Fred kept the synagogue in Cork open despite the declining Jewish community, until it was deconsecrated and finally closed in 2016; Fred died later that year. At its peak, the Jewish community in Cork consisted of c. 500 people and 65 families.

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa stands on the site of the former hotel which was demolished in 1997.

 

Extract taken from: www.facebook.com/IrishHeritageNews